Civil Engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, canals, dams, and buildings. It is traditionally broken into several sub-disciplines including environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, geophysics, geodesy, control engineering, structural engineering, biomechanics, nanotechnology, transportation engineering, earth science, atmospheric sciences, forensic engineering, municipal or urban engineering, water resources engineering, materials engineering, coastal engineering, surveying, and construction engineering. Design of complex structure like International Space Station needs understanding of Structural Analysis.
The objectives for Civil Engineering are formed to produce capable engineers who will contribute effectively to the growth of a country. The objectives are as follows:-
- Graduates will be prepared with a solid foundation in mathematics, sciences, and technical skills needed to analyze and design civil infrastructure systems.
- Graduates will possess strong written and oral communication skills.
- Graduates will be familiar with current and emerging civil engineering and global issues, and have an understanding of ethical and societal responsibilities.
- Graduates will have the ability to obtain professional licensure, and will recognize the need for engaging in life-long learning.
- Graduates will have the necessary qualifications for employment in civil engineering and related professions, for entry into advanced studies, and for assuming eventual leadership roles in their profession.
There is huge demand for civil engineers in India and it is also expected to get a boost as the country gets ready to upgrade its infrastructure with growing economic and political clout in the world. The career opens a lot of opportunities in numerous government departments. Civil Engineers are employed in all major construction projects carried out by central and state government agencies.
There are equally good opportunities in the private sector for civil engineers. A major opening for qualified civil engineers is also in armed forces where they can make vital contribution to the protection of the country. Last but not the least you can set up your own engineering consultancy.
B.Tech. Civil Engineering
M.Tech. Civil Engineering (Transport Engineering & Management)
Diploma Civil Engineering